Friday, August 1, 2008

Happy Friendship Day!!!


When I was planning my school calendar I realized that today is a little known holiday called ‘Friendship Day.’ What a perfect day to ‘be real’ about more than who caught the last fish and let you all know what you mean to me and to our family….

"The better part of one's life consists of his friendships."
Abraham Lincoln

The hardest and most wonderful part of our Military lifestyle has been the relationships we have made, and left, along the way… yes, it was cool to visit the tulip fields, live on the grounds of a 16th century manor home, hike half dome and now, watch bears in my back yard, but when I think about the last 20+ years of moving every 3-5 years, it’s the people we remember, not the places … and when we move on each time, it’s the people we miss.

Of course our family is the most important thing in the world to us, the ups and downs, we’ve faced in the last year… (even just the last couple of months, sigh….) continually remind me of how important family is, how they cannot be taken for granted and how much you miss them when death or circumstances separate you. But even during these times and maybe even especially in these hardships, I have to thank God for my friends… the ones who remind me about God’s love and faithfulness, those who laugh and rejoice with me in good times, those who have supported me (and my family) in prayer, those who have listened to me cry and complain, those who make me laugh, (and of course, those who faithfully read my blog!)
... My life has been so full, because of All the people (friends and family) God has put in my life.
I was reminded of this 'quote' earlier in the week, it really fits our life style and philosophy...
So, if you’re reading this (and trust me, I know who you are) know that I love you and thank God that you're a part of my life.
"Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold."

11 comments:

Chelle said...

Hmmmm. That last quote sounds familiar. Cheryl - you are amazing! I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your friendship and encouragement. Our instant connection will always be so special to me! I love you and your crew! Happy Friendship Day.

Natalie said...

Happy Friendship Day!!! Thanks for your encouragement and support! You left us all with a little more confidence that we can teach our children & that it will all be worth it!

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

OOPS... that was me.

Am I silver over here too? It's okay. I'm fine being silver. Really I am. ;-)

Happy Friendship Day!

Chelle said...

You're not silver ANYWHERE!!!! ESPECIALLY ON MY BLOG!!! You're GOLD!!! GOLD!!! Do you hear me Mrs. Sossaman. GOLD! I'm never gonna be able to make this up to you. Am I?

jeramy sossaman said...

cheryl...truly a great post. friends are the best. god shows his love for us as we continue to grow together. i'll celebrate friendship day with you! :-)

Unknown said...

As far as I'm concerned... you're all gold!!! These blogs have been my life (sad as that is...) since moving here, it would have been a long cold winter (and summer!) if it weren't for the laughter you guys have provided.... GOLD... GOLD... GOLD!!!!!

Unknown said...

AND.... I'd love to hear from the other "golden' friends that are lurking out there... Tish... Beth... Kim.... Danna...Lisa....I know who you are...

Sharon said...

Okay. I'll be real here...

I know that I'm gold... I just like making Chelle squirm.

And for all you lurking golden friends...
join the fun!

Chelle said...

Friends are the best!

Unknown said...

yep, they are, I can't imagine life with out them!!!