Friday, August 22, 2008

Only In Alaska - part I

It’s another quiet weekend here, Gerad left for school last week and Rick and Rian are camping so decided I’d get a cup of tea and get caught up on my blog. Before you ask why I'm not camping with them... I suggest you read on...

I’m going to post a few things over the next couple of days, just to get caught up … I’m calling them 'Only In Alaska' because I’m not sure they really have any rhyme or reason to them… they just are, and you have to accept it as such...… Welcome to Alaska…

One of those things was the last camping trip. This was the church men’s retreat … and only in Alaska does the list of items to bring look like this:

  • Bible, pen, notebook
  • Guns and ammunition
  • Bowling balls

Really… that was the list… Gerad told his boss he was going to a church retreat… just needed his Bible and a gun… Now that just doesn’t sound right to me, but apparently it is completely natural here! The lessons were good, the worship was good, the food was good, so I hear.... Apparently they had a wonderful time, you could tell by the bruises on Rick's arm!

But you want to know what the highlight was????




A Cannon… NO LIE!!!




hence the bowling (cannon) balls…

One of these men has made a cannon that shoots bowling balls so high that they actually disappeared behind some clouds… The story goes that at a different retreat they ran out of ‘ammunition’ so he sent some guys ‘to the side of that hill – you’ll find some there…’ they came back with a bowling ball with moose hair in the holes… he had hit a moose broad side and killed it instantly! CRAZY!!!

just to prove I’m not making this up... watch this....

Any wonder I'm at home?

I don't think they'll be shooting any 'cannons' tonight as they're staying at a state park, and hopefully no bears either... (they don't even have the camera to prove it if they did!!!) All I can do is shake my head and say ... Only In Alaska!!!!

By the way.... Don't know if you noticed... I moved my slide show to the bottom of the blog and added some new ones ... hope you enjoy them!

8 comments:

jeramy sossaman said...

the cannon video has got to be one of the greatest things i've ever seen! i want one!

Chelle said...

I am floored. I don't find the that funny at all. That poor moose. Don't you guys have a mall or something to keep you busy??

Cheryl said...

Don't worry Michelle -- the moose didn't feel a thing... and YES... I was at the mall that weekend!!!

Chelle said...

DARN!! Alaska is hardening you Cheryl. The poor moose...

Natalie said...

I'm with Chelle, POOR MOOSE! That is sad!

Natalie said...

I REALLY REALLY REALLY like your slide show!!! How can I get one for my blog???

Cheryl said...

Michelle - I think it's that California is 'softening' you -- before we know it you'll be out hugging trees... (and moose too, if you ever get a chance...- or is that what happened before.......)

Cheryl said...

Natalie - I'll e-mail you about the slide show, it's easy in a complicated sort of way --