Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back to School....again

So, I know you homeschooling moms are out there, just in awe of me… I said I was going to start school and I diligently disappeared … I’m sure you can only imagine the school work we’re getting done… so let me tell you all about it….

We had a terrific start… just as I expected… With the thought of fishing filling his dreams Rian woke up ready to get with it on day one. I was still in my jammies, drinking tea and reading blogs and he’s saying “mom, can we start school….please.” (Only in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen!) Day two was not much different, except that I didn’t sleep well the night before so he actually woke me up at 9:00 a.m. saying “Mom… it’s a BEAUTIFUL day, can we get school done so we can go fishing…” And it was a beautiful day! We breezed through school, chores, etc... and headed out to 6-mile creek. I actually got some sun, could see the mountains and really enjoyed sitting out there watching him fish. By day three we hit a familiar milestone in the moving process… (it happens every time, about 6 months into it)… I got up, came down stairs and looked at my house and all the stuff that just wasn't ‘working’, i.e. the cups belong in that cupboard, and that bookshelf in the basement needs to go upstairs… and if we empty the entire wall unit and move it over 3 inches and put the piano over there everything would work so much better …

Well, we didn’t do all that, but one of the biggest problems was that our school supplies were strewn out all over the house…some of the books were in the basement, some upstairs, and others in the laundry room, (and all over the kitchen table), paper in the laundry room, pens in the kitchen…..what a mess!!! So, I determined to have a teacher work day and transform this little room (actually I think it’s an oversized closet) into a school room. So… here we are one week later… yep that’s right…we had two amazing days of school last week… and this is where we stood this morning…
I really made a push today, and made amazing progress putting the room together and have just a few more things to do and it will be finished. The weather seems to be clearing tonight, so if it’s nice in the morning our plan is to do the A.M. fishing tide, and school in the afternoon. Our first day ‘back to school’ again….

So Rick... about the wall unit....

12 comments:

Chelle said...

HILARIOUS!!!! I feel your pain! It's ok if Rian's uneducated. Your house will be in order and he'll be moving out in a few years anyway! HA!

Unknown said...

That's right... thanks for the encouragement... Hey, if he can fish does he need an education anyway???

We're off to the 'fishing hole' now....

Natalie said...

Oh the fishing hole sounds SO amazing!!! I really want to come visit Alaska! I can imagine the beautiful land and skyscape that surrounds you guys constantly!
I am very proud of your teacher-work day! I personally do not like to function in unorganized enviroments!
I noticed your cup of tea in the photos sitting on the desk! Yum! I think that you guys are off to a great start now! I am just getting geared up and mentally prepared to clean out closets, organize, and shop for new curriculum! It is all worth it though... (-:

Cheryl said...

I'm with you Natalie... I can not function with a disorganized house (with should not be confused with a clean house, they're not the same thing for me!) so I am feeling much better about getting started. We're still not all the way there, (i.e. we haven't started algebra or science, just moving on with the Learning Adventures, English, reading, etc...)but we'll be able to accomplish so much more now that everything is in one place. And the fishing hole... I'm gonna blog about it later today...

Natalie said...

Cheryl I WAS JUST FREAKING OUT!!! I sat down to start organizing my teaching materials for the school year & noticed that the ENTIRE unit on Renassiance & Reformation is MISSING!!! Remember I bought it used, well there is a whole unit completely GONE!
Now I am going to have to copy Michelles because I dont have any other options right now!
But I really wanted to ask you about the 'Prarie Primer.'
I just noticed it in a catalog & it says that you use the Ingalls Wilder books with it? Have you done it? I have the whole set of books so that might be something I am interested in doing after WOA.

Cheryl said...

What a bummer!!! Are you sure it's not in the back (out of order?)?

I LOVED the prarier primer as much as I loved this unit! Your kids will ALL get something out of it (and the Keifers need to do it too!!!) It's a fun unit to do with others too. And with the economy like it is... it's a perfect time. The simplisity (how do you spell that anyway?) in their lives was so amazing and refreshing!!! I guarentee you would LOVE IT! Okay... I HAVE to go to school now.... but I'm going to hurry so I get finished quickly and blog about the fishing hole this morning!

Natalie said...

Yeah, it is not in the back or out of order the ENTIRE unit is MISSING! 0: I am actually leaning towards the Prarie Primer. I think I may give WOA a break. I also am reading that book "For the Childrens Sake." GREAT BOOK SO FAR!
I am really enjoying it! So let Rian have fun in the great outdoors at the fishing hole! There is much to learn in that!!!
I am going to have to share what I am reading at our next mom's meeting.
I started reading the first Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House in the Big Woods," last night to the kids. Chapter 1 went well and Donovan & Kiara were VERY interested.
I cant say they were that interested in the "Myths and Legends in Greek Theology" book!
Have fun at school today!

Unknown said...

The Prarier Primer is certainly something the little ones would enjoy more... but Alexia would get good stuff from it too! You're doing an amazing job... and you're right... the things Rian has learned at the 'fishing hole' and "dissecting" those fish... hey, it all counts!

Sharon said...

Just teach everything using fish.

If Rian went fishing for 7 hours and caught 20 fish, how many fish did he catch an hour?

Or

Rian had 30lbs of fish and sold the fish at $2.99 a pound. He had to give his mom 33% of what he earned. How much did mom make?

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I knew it.... Sharon is a closet homeschooler!!!! Hey what about this math problem.... Rick catches 0 fish one day, and 0 fish the next 2 times... how many fish did Rick catch....

Tonight...we're actually gonna cook some of that fish...HOME EC!!!

And come winter... they can gauge how thick the ice will have to be before it can bear (or is that bare, or ...spelling!) their weight long enough for them to cut a hole and fish some more... well, at least we won't starve!!!!

Cheryl said...

Maybe I should clarify... were' going to be eating the fish RIAN caught, not the fish Rick caught.......i.e. I do know that 0 X 0 = 0 I learned it from fishing!