Friday, July 18, 2008

She's Gone...


We woke up yesterday morning to the sad news that our neighborhood bear is gone… really gone if you get what I mean. She had provided us with quite a bit of excitement, a couple of close calls and some entertaining moments – for example, you think it’s hard to get your kids to pick up after the dog…can you imagine getting your kids to clean up the ‘bear doo-doo’ in the front yard?!! …No Lie, it really happened… twice! Apparently after 9 years of perusing the base dumpsters (and teaching her cubs to do the same) she became completely unafraid of humans, and their attempts to scare her away. And so, after one delicious last meal (they baited her with a cinnabon) she was gone…

I think we've gone completely 'mad' here as I can't even count the number of times in the last 24 hours that someone (including myself) has said..."I can't believe they killed our bear." ...Sad because they killed a bear that my son had to watch for while he played? We must have permafrost (where the ground never thaws) in our brains!

12 comments:

Chelle said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am SO SAD! I can't believe they killed her. Who did it, by the way? Who is "they?" Awwwww. I AM glad you posted though. I've been missing you!

Unknown said...

They = wildlife management... I have been assured there are other bears, but she was our first...

I'm glad Sierra doesn't post on my blog...after the comments she wrote about you and your dogs she'd have a field day with me and 'my bears', eh?!!!

Glad to be 'back' too... I love having people visit, but 'normal' is okay too!

Anonymous said...

Lets pause for a moment of silence....

jeramy sossaman said...

did they make bear jerky and hand it out to all the neighbors? that would be cool...

Cheryl said...

JEREMY?!!!! We're in mourning here and you make a comment like that one? - Rian says "your a sick, sick man"

jeramy sossaman said...

ooops. sorry cheryl. i thought this post was tongue and cheek. i guess i didn't pay close enough attention. my bad.... :-(

bear jerky is definitely in bad taste....so to speak.

DANG IT! I did it again. sorry....i'm going to stop now

Unknown said...

Man, I hate it when I can't think of a snappy comment...

jeramy sossaman said...

yeah...i understand.

dead bear....that's tough.

jeramy sossaman said...

i've got more? anyone? anyone?

Chelle said...

Could you be ANY MORE INSENSITIVE J?????? Oh wait..... don't answer that. You can count on me for support Cheryl. I'm STILL mourning the bear (that I never met). But then again, I have issues.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your support Michelle... you don't know how much I appreciate it - Some people just don't understand...
Even Rick thought the bear jerky was a good idea.... some people...

Chelle said...

You're right..... some people.