Monday, July 21, 2008

It's Gone

IT.... being summer.... is gone! Since about May we’ve been hearing it… ‘oh, spring is about 6 weeks late this year’…. ‘The fish are running late this year’…. ‘Summer is about 6 weeks late this year’…. Until last Thursday that is…

Somewhere along the line the seasons caught up and then some. Now we're having August weather….RAIN…and we’re starting to hear things like “normal summers don’t exist in Alaska, each one is different” or “summers aren’t usually that nice here, we were just spoiled by the last few years”… The only redeeming thought is that apparently the Salmon have finally figured out that it is indeed summer and are starting to “run.” (Like fishing on a nice day isn't bad enough, now we have to fish in the rain?)

Gerad’s summer has also ‘ended’ as he finally got a job… seems kind of crazy at this point with only 4 weeks left of his summer holiday, but God’s timing is perfect, and if it’s going to be rainy he might as well make some money! So he starts work today, I'm sure that means Rian will want ME to take him fishing... right, like that's gonna happen?!!!!

I have tried to stay positive (obviously it isn't working) as we haven't had a lot of rainy days (just NO sunshine) and the weather isn't any worse than a lot of the summers we had in Europe, but the thought of a long, cold winter looming around the corner is really starting to bug me!

In a normal year (if there is such a thing) it sounds like you have a 'yukky' August and then some nice weather in September before winter hits. Although I am remaining hopeful that will be the case, I'm not holding my breath and am thinking pretty seriously about using our military ‘perks’ and ‘hopping’ back to California for some much needed sunshine before winter sets back in!


We did note while we were in Seward that there are a lot of die hard people that live here (and visit here) that don't seem to care about the weather as long as they can fish....

7 comments:

jeramy sossaman said...

keep your head up. the sun will come out again....

take care! :-)

Cheryl said...

Yep it will .. hopefully it won't be 50 below when it does!

Sharon said...

It's still sunny here....

Cheryl said...

Great Sharon... go ahead, rub it in! - actually, as much as I'm missing the sunshine, I do NOT miss the 100+ temperatures and would choose this over that any day...I think....

Chelle said...

Trade ya.

Cheryl said...

I would consider a trade, for a few days... (as long as I get use of your pool while I'm there?)

Chelle said...

Using the word "pool" to describe it is very generous of you. But YES - it's a deal.