Well, after reading all my friends blogs... I'm sure this is pretty dull indeed, and I don't even have a picture, so I should probably hang it up right now, but I wanted you all to know that I just saw my first, real, live - not in a zoo - bear!!!! No LIE!!! If I was in doubt about living in Alaska this took care of it!!!
So do you think I was hiking in the forest? Nope.... Fishing at the river? Nope... I was driving home from the commisary!!!! Right here on the base...we cross this bridge over Ship Creek - known for it's bear activity, so we always look.... and once again, I saw nothing, but noted how pretty it is, with it's picnic table, the creek flowing by... such a quaint spot... However, immediately after you pass that spot you continue up and over the railroad tracks - and there, right in the open crossing the tracks was a big bear!
But don't worry.... Like Rian says, it was only a black bear (GIMME A BREAK!!!) Needless to say, we won't be stopping at that park anytime soon, and I sure hope the guy on the walking bridge had his camera with him!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

23 comments:
YAY!!! So now I finally believe you... you DO live in Alaska. I was kind of feeling like maybe you were still at Travis but just on the run from all of us! (Or at least I was HOPING for that) Congrats on your first bear sighting. Have you ever pet a bear? You should try it... they're soft. (not really, Cheryl)
Like how far away were you? That is just plain CRAZY!
So, this does teach you that you need your camera with you AT ALL TIMES! Please! You have to be looking for the blogable things in your life, AND be ready to snap a picture for maximum impact for your posts. You have to think like a blogger and act like a blogger. Feel the blog....
You get to blog about moose and bears! Who gets to do that???
(Now all that being said... don't put yourself in danger to get a picture to blog.)
cheryl....no picture....no bear. i don't believe it.
I knew that at least ONE of you would have wanted me to risk my life to take a picture ...sheesh...remember that 'favorites comment?' Guess Chelle just went back up on that one ... I usually DO have my camera but I was on an overpass and don't have a fancy camera so it wouldn't have been a good picture anyway. I was probably about 150 yards away. We saw him again about 3 hours later when we went to Rian's ball game... Rick offered to stop and let me out... what a guy, eh?!
great "story". excuses, excuses...
Hey Chelle,
It did look REALLY fluffy and soft...Rian has decided we 'need' a pet bear... you know we could train it for movies... I think he was joking, but I'm never quite sure about that one!
Jeramy.... Don't you ever work? You're always right there.... And... it was a GOOD excuse!!!! Michelle gets 2 points now!
don't change the subject! let's stay on your "fantasy bear"....it's fun!
All we are asking for is a speck of a bear. No catchlights or jump shots... just something that looks like a bear.
For the record... I BELIEVE YOU CHERYL!!!! Really, I do! Did I ever tell you about when I interviewed for a job in Pigeon Forge, TN at a place that had "live bears?" It's a true story. When the owner walked off to go get the paperwork I ran out the door, jumped in my car, drove home and cried to Steve, wanting to know where in the heck he had moved me to. True story. True story. Anything like that ever happen to you???
that's not what you just told me at lunch! beware cheryl
I can't stand you Jeramy.
seems like i hit a nerve....you can take it out on me later
Speaking of nerve... you have some serious nerve.
Those two!
Sorry I haven't posted...been out looking for bears... Just remember Sharon, I don't have a camera lens that can double as a weapon, but I'll do my best...
And yes... those two, you'd think they were related the way they bicker, but ya gotta love em, eh?
And... by the way... I think there is a bear picture in my weekly pictures...a "brown bear" - he was behind a wire fence at a conservation park we went to.... Does that count?
Michelle...
yes that has happened to me, about a million times - like everytime we've moved!!! Not exactly like yours except for the crying and "wanting to know where in the heck he had moved me to"
Cheryl... the brown bear BEHIND THE FENCE absolutely DOES NOT count!!!! Keep trying.
Hey Michelle.... minus 2 points...
Hey Jeramy and Sharon... I sure hope you're having a nice day and that everything is going well for you....
Okay, okay.... it counts. Just don't like J more than me!!!! Sharon, I understand... but not Jeramy.
I cant believe you saw a REAL LIVE bear...I am just not ok with that. Move here. Flower Mound has no bears. It is great. So safe. You would love it here.
wow....so much hostility. i love you all... :-)
see ya next week cheryl...i got my flight booked.
Hey Jeramy...I'll be here. After you get out of the airport take a Left on the first main road you can find and walk about 7 miles, take a left over the bridge and walk another mile (up hill) and you'll be at the gate. If the bears and moose don't get you by that point give us a call! Can't wait to see you! (By the way... when you really have tickets...let me know I'd be happy to pick you up at the airport!)
Post a Comment