Sunday, June 8, 2008

Garbage Trucks on Sunday?

I was rudely awaken this morning after a lovely, peaceful nights sleep. At 5 something a.m. I heard the sounds of the garbage truck, ‘clang, clang’ against the huge bear proof community garbage bins… and then I heard it again… and again… and…after some time I realized “It’s Sunday??!”…They don’t empty the garbage on Sundays…. Oh… my… could it be?

I quietly went to my bedroom window, and then not so quietly woke everyone in the house up on my way, dear doubting friends, to get my camera! And this is what We saw…..


As we were standing on our back porch, that mama bear grunted at us because her baby climbed up in the tree just outside our back yard… we carefully watched for a while longer and then got a bit nervous… that cute little (?) cub, looked like it was going to come down into our back yard with a thud… how many of you know that would not have been cool?
All this talk about bears reminds of one of my favorite verses, I taught this to my children over and over again when they were younger. When that mama bear grunted at me, I saw even clearer the urgency of this passage…

“Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs
than a fool in his folly”
Proverbs 17:12

Well… needless to say, Rian won’t be playing outside today… or ever again…. And Shauna, Flower Mound, is looking pretty inviting right now!

If only my hands would quit shaking I could actually post this! Have a blessed Sunday!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

If you click on the pictures of the week you can go to my web album and see them larger, there is also a great little video there that I couldn't get to upload on my blog, I'll try again later, but for now you can see it there.

jeramy sossaman said...

HOLY COW!!!! I can't believe you actually got a picture....NOW, I believe! Thanks Cheryl.

Sharon said...

FREAK OUT!!!!

Chelle said...

YAY!!! I'm so proud of you for being "camera ready!" Good girl! How exciting! What a great way to start your day! You are livin' on the edge my friend! I love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are great pictures/video. I bet you guys were scared but excited to see that. thanks for sharing for sure!
Sue

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
You're making out FL alligator spottings in the neighborhood "lake" seem mild!
Wendy

Cheryl said...

We saw them again this afternoon and I'm here to tell you I'm totally freaked out!

As far as 'gator's' go... I'll take bears any day, at least you can usually see them coming and they're fairly predictable... just BIG!!!

Have I ever mentioned that I'm really not an 'edge' person... I don't like surprises...just prefer to have it all planned out... so I'll trade you places Michelle...

Well... I think Rick wants to go for a walk... luckily Leo never minds to go so at least he won't have to go it alone...

Anonymous said...

NO WAY!!! I would'nt want to EVER cross a mama bear and her cub let alone see them in my YARD!!!!! WHOA!!! I did love the sunset how AMAZING!!! Please stay safe and dont EVER let Rian outside again! Seesh! -Natalie