We started our weekend like many of you… with a picnic, eating good food, doing some fishing, etc… We ended the weekend by taking a bike ride around Eklutna Lake, which was beautiful! There were just enough people about that we didn’t have to worry to much about sneaking up on a bear, but not so many that we couldn't enjoy the day out. We returned with enough time to BBQ some burgers and relax a bit before heading back to the daily grind…
However, sandwiched in the middle was our real reminder of where we live! On Sunday Rick and I had gone out to get supplies for our impending bike trip. As we came up the street toward our neighborhood we were confronted with flashing lights and were stopped at the top of the hill by a Security Policeman. We were told to immediately leave the area because there was an aggressive moose on the loose! We obediently waited and watched from the bottom of the hill for about 15 minutes until that S.P. turned his back for a moment and 5 other waiting cars headed up the hill. We took our chances and followed suit. We were greeted by a highly agitated neighbor who gave us the “low down”. . .
Keep in mind, moose roam the base and neighborhood at will. They normally just tend to their business of quietly munching away at the neighborhood plants and trees, or where ever they can find a tasty treat... down town Anchorage, along the highway, at the hospital, etc..., but remember that moose I joked about heading for my tomato plants? Well, our guess is that sometime late in the week she gave birth to a lovely ‘little’ moose and not unlike humans mothers, this completely alters a normally calm and rational mind and suddenly they become a force to be reckoned with! Some how that calf got into the back yard of the house across the street and couldn’t get out… That ole mama moose went nuts, and the neighbor almost got run over by her. (Yes Sharon S. even taking the garbage out is risky!). I don’t know how they got the calf out, but that mama moose tied up whole the neighborhood for quite a while. Although our life was interrupted by this irate mama moose, we never did see her… and I’m pretty sure that was not a bad thing as Rian does like to leave the house on occasion!
One more thing about Moose… They are huge!!! Not like a horse huge, more like a Semi-truck huge! We took this picture in February at a friend’s house in Palmer. - They are amazing creatures... and I know some of you have moose stories to tell as well... I would love to hear them!

18 comments:
HOLY COW! It's a moose! Is that at a zoo or something?
I want more moose stories! So, moose don't hide from people? They walk around like stray dogs or cats just WAY bigger?
Jeramy! Let's go visit Cheryl and her moose!
No, they don't run and hide... but I don't have any more moose stories, some fox stories, porcupines, and probably a bear story before the summer is over, but you're gonna have to be nice to Michelle so she'll tell us HER moose story!
By the way...You guys are welcome ANY time! REALLY!
NOPE! I'm still not sharing my moose stories. I won't be pressured. But I enjoyed yours Cheryl!! What out for them. They really are aggressive. Take pictures from far away. Isn't the plural of moose - meese????
I heard Michelle's moose (meese) story from Derrick. And believe me...it is not for the faint of heart. I mean....well.....I can't really say, but let's just say that I was IMPRESSED! You follow me?
I can't believe Michelle is being so stingy with her moose story! I've heard lots of them... and because of that I probably won't ever have a good story to tell my self because I stay my distance! They can be very aggressive, but mostly when they have babies or feel threatened... did Chelle threaten that moose?...
I REALLY can't say cheryl....but I can tell you that it involved steve, a tank top and a loon.
You people are INSANE!!!! INSANE!!! And Jeramy Sossaman... I'm going to hurt you one of these days.
oh....welcome kiefer....since you're here....go ahead and share your moose (meese) story...you tell it so much better then i do.
I'm done with this "Moose on the Loose" blog. Cheryl... give us something new. Come on!!
c'mon....tell it.
Why should I write something new... you guys are entertaining enough as it is... As long as you and Jeramy go at it I won't have to write anything!
Cheryl... be a team player. Remember that day we had tea and you told me how you like me so much more than you like Jeramy. Pick me! Pick me!
I know who Cheryl's favorite is...
You guys are crazy... I've become a spectator on my own blog!!!!
I'll choose my favorite based on who is the first one to purchase a plane ticket to Anchorage!!!!
Cheryl!!! Not fair!
Yeah... NOT FAIR!!! But in all honesty, my goal was to take over your blog. I was just wondering how long it was going to take you to figure it out! Hee Hee.
Chelle, That's just what I'd expect from you... Just wait... I'll come up with something good again soon....
Thanks for the sympathy Sharon, I knew I could count on you!
Post a Comment