Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Fishin Hole

Summer is really fading quickly here... we have 'felt' it in the air for weeks, and are now seeing it in many ways... so, before it's completely gone... I'll try to get with it and post the last of the summer....

Journey of the Salmon
Stop 1 – Cook Inlet



I told a couple of you that I would blog about our ‘fishing hole’ and although I’ve told you a bit and showed you a few mucky pictures I really haven’t taken the time to show you the ‘grandeur’ of it. It is a truly beautiful place at any time of the day and in any weather. The fish have quit ‘running’ there and I have to admit that I have really missed going, maybe even more than Rian has missed the fishing!

Here is a quick 2nd grade science lesson - Salmon are born in lakes and then make their way to the ‘sea’ – where if they are smart they head straight south to California for some warmer waters! When it’s their time to … ‘go’… They head back to spawn and die in the same waters they were born in (some people call that instinct, but I have to call it God as it would take a lot more than instinct for me to leave ‘warm’ waters to swim upstream into a glacier fed creek and lake just so I could die!)

In our case the salmon were heading back to Six Mile Lake, but in order to get there they have to come through Cook Inlet and into the narrow mouth of Six Mile Creek – the last time I was out there I took a couple of video clips of the rest of the view. So, this would be stop one, on the Journey of the Salmon. (I've got a couple other clips I'll share later.)

Disclosure: The one thing we are constantly amazed at it the vastness of Alaska, something that just can’t be caught on ‘film.’ So, here is a little taste, but if you really want to see it, you’ll have to buy a ticket and come! (I did some narration on this clip…and it of course sounds really dumb, and repetitive, but wanted you to know what you were looking at) the the first thing you might be able to see is the outline of Mt. McKinley (Denali) in the distance ... it is absolutely amazing to see!!!! Just another note... the mountains I'm talking about are beyond the obvious cliffs that you can easily see... as I said, you really have to see it to believe it!

6 comments:

jeramy sossaman said...

thanks cheryl. it is beautiful. but, i guess it really shows that you aren't an alaskan at heart since this was a blog post about fishing and not sarah palin. still good though. :-) i'm with you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Hey... I'm just an 'orderly' person and I'm about 2 weeks behind... trust
me, I've got a Sarah Palin story coming....

Natalie said...

I personally didn't think the video had anything wrong with it! I felt like I was standing next to you and you were just sharing all the sites with me! YIKES!!! Mt. Diablo is HUGE!!! It is 300 miles away??? Golly! Are you going to try to go see it much closer one day?

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Cheryl said...
You're sweet natalie... but I'm sure it sounded dumb.... We did get closer this summer when we went camping w/Rachel & Cain, but the only way to get within about 70-100 miles of it is on foot - just you and the grizzlies...

Because it's so big (3rd highest in the world)it makes it's own weather so seeing it on a clear day is pretty cool! We saw it more often last winter, so maybe I can get some better shots of it soon...