Sunday, September 14, 2008

Termination Dust...

We have just finished a lovely week of touring with my parents and our friends, Dave and Val, from England. Despite some pretty uncooperative weather, we had a wonderful week.

In addition to seeing some moose, and panning for gold, we walked further than any of us had in a long time and learned several new things about Alaska...


First we learned that Alaska is beautiful in the fall. For as long as I can remember Autumn has been my favorite season. I'm not sure why... I tried to convince Rachel that it was because as a child I was always so excited to get back to school... she didn't buy it, and my mom probably just choked... obviously not the reason! The real reason is probably because summer has never been my favorite season and even though summer never really arrived here this year, the change in the air was still noticeable and refreshing, and then of course, there are the beautiful colors!
It's been a long time since we've lived some place with four, distinct seasons and I am enjoying that! We made several outings this week, but the colors were probably the most stunning around Hatcher Pass and along the Matanuska River, just north of Anchorage.
Another thing I learned this week is that there really are Beluga Whales in the Cook Inlet! We saw a pod of at least 7 or 10 of them on Friday. It was a great site after we had spent the day hoping to see some bears on the Kenai Peninsula. (We did see our bears, but it was at the Wildlife Conservation Park, so not quite the same as spotting them along the road.)



The other thing I learned this week is that 'it's' called 'Termination Dust'.... yep, that white stuff that appeared on the tops of the Talkeetna Mountains early this week is 'Termination Dust.' The sign that summer is indeed on it's way out, and winter not far behind it I'm sure. Although I am dreading the months of darkness, and am not thrilled about the impending snow, I do have to say it's been an amazing summer! We had many visits from family and friends, we saw and did things we never dreamed of seeing or doing and have next summer to look forward to as we settle into a routine for the winter.

Just a note... As many of you know, I'm not above 'stealing' from people to create a nice blog, but I do pride myself in giving credit where credit it due... so, in case you've noticed that some of these pictures are much better than the ones I usually put on here, well, those would be my dad's. He is a great photographer, and I just couldn't help using his pictures instead of my own. One more thing... be sure to check the slide show at the bottom, with any luck there will be some new stuff there too!

8 comments:

Pastor's Perspective said...

Looks and sounds like an amazing time! Alaska is simply in a classification by itself.

jeramy sossaman said...

looks beautiful. i think i can use 'termination dust' in a song. there's got to be a good metaphor in there somehow. :-)

Cheryl said...

I can't wait to hear it Jeramy... better make it quick though, I have a feeling the 'dust' part isn't going to last long, just the termination part!

Chelle said...

Have I mentioned that I love Alaska?? Great photos! And so glad you had fun with your parents! That's fantastic.

Natalie said...

Where did you get the NEW blog look??? I love it!!! As usual, the Alaska photos are unreal! I want to see whales... ): I still haven't had time to get the slide show rolling on my blog but hopefully I can get to it soon.
Fall is my FAVORITE!!! Everything from the colors, scents, sights, cooking to fashion I enjoy!!!

Cheryl said...

I forgot about the smells... cinnamon, apples, pumpkin...love it!

There should be a square at the top left corner that says something about cute blogs... I got it there and it was super easy... Now I need to figure out how to change my header. My neice did that one for me.

Anonymous said...

Alaska is very lovely. And how amazing that you get to see so many of Gods wonderful creations...
Why does it have to be so dang COLD up there!!!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy all the latest pictures, news of the family and what's been happen' up North in Alaska. The pictures of the fall colors, mountains, fish & family are just beautiful. Good picture of you & your mom sure it was good to see your folks, Dave & Val. Rian really got his nose into the gold panning, is his luck there as good as fishing???? Love from Washington