I heard many times before moving here that everyone either loves Alaska or hates Alaska. I have to say that doesn’t apply to me! After experiencing all four seasons I have to say that I both love AND hate Alaska!
I won’t go into the things I hate… ‘tis the season’ to be thankful and cheerful and although I see God’s hand in many of those 'not so lovely' things, I have to honestly say I’m not quite ‘there’ when it comes to the “be thankful in all things” yet.
But, the things I love….
I love the slower pace of life! I love that people say hello as you walk down the side walk in town, that store clerks seem to genuinely want to help. I love that I actually know some of my neighbors, (which has not always been the case even on base) and that we look out for each other, such a blessing!
I love that you have to look both ways before leaving your house… (Rick forgot this last week and didn’t see the huge moose just across the street). I love the beautiful little birds at my bird feeders and how the snow sparkles. I love that you should look outside your windows each night before you go to bed… just in case… we wouldn’t want to miss seeing a moose, the new snow, or northern lights now would we?!!!
Alaska is beautiful all the time, but I think the winter may be my favorite season. (I do reserve the right to change my mind in February or March!!!!) I am not real big on the cold (when it gets below about 20) but I am enjoying the snow and even took my first sled ride in at least 20 years the other night. Sorry, no pictures, maybe next time… maybe…
The days continue to get ‘shorter,’ but I can’t say that it has bothered us to much… at least not yet. We are trying to keep busy. In addition to the typical stuff - like having friends in for
I won’t go into the things I hate… ‘tis the season’ to be thankful and cheerful and although I see God’s hand in many of those 'not so lovely' things, I have to honestly say I’m not quite ‘there’ when it comes to the “be thankful in all things” yet.
But, the things I love….
I love the slower pace of life! I love that people say hello as you walk down the side walk in town, that store clerks seem to genuinely want to help. I love that I actually know some of my neighbors, (which has not always been the case even on base) and that we look out for each other, such a blessing!
I love that you have to look both ways before leaving your house… (Rick forgot this last week and didn’t see the huge moose just across the street). I love the beautiful little birds at my bird feeders and how the snow sparkles. I love that you should look outside your windows each night before you go to bed… just in case… we wouldn’t want to miss seeing a moose, the new snow, or northern lights now would we?!!!
Alaska is beautiful all the time, but I think the winter may be my favorite season. (I do reserve the right to change my mind in February or March!!!!) I am not real big on the cold (when it gets below about 20) but I am enjoying the snow and even took my first sled ride in at least 20 years the other night. Sorry, no pictures, maybe next time… maybe…
The days continue to get ‘shorter,’ but I can’t say that it has bothered us to much… at least not yet. We are trying to keep busy. In addition to the typical stuff - like having friends in for
Thanksgiving dinner, doing school, piano lessons,etc..., Rian and I volunteered with some friends to work with Operation Christmas Child (for you ex-L.I.F.E. members... yes, that is Abbey!)
and participated in the Thanksgiving Blessing (helping needy families)at our church. There is also snowboarding, sledding, and of course plenty of shoveling to be done to help pass the time! I’m sure our mid-winter break will also help a great deal in keeping those winter blahs away.
That’s all for now… oh, be sure to check out the pictures at the bottom of the page, I finally got around to posting some new ones. Hope you enjoy them!

3 comments:
i love the brighter side! well done cheryl! i do have a question though....there seems to be some chemistry between rian and that girl in the picture....????? hmmmm?????
nah... I don't think so....that's my story and I'm sticking to it... no matter what! We've known her family for years and feel so blessed that they are here with us! Just another way God provides in our lives!
Thanks for pointing out the blessings of being here in this beautiful (but cold!) state. I love the pictures! I'd love to get together sometime - I just don't when.
Post a Comment