Monday, October 27, 2008

No More Pouting....

At the beginning of the month, Rick, Rian and I decided to “cash in” on one of our military benefits and took a C-17 flight to Travis. We had only planned to stay a week but as it goes with Space-A travel that week turned into 10 days, then 2 weeks… mind you, that was 2 weeks spent with Rachel and Cain, sitting in the glorious blue sky and sunshine, visiting with friends, eating at favorite restaurants…just relaxing… what a wonderful way to spend 2 weeks! In the end, there seemed to be no end insight. Rick needed to get back to work, Rian needed to get back to his studies and after a long night of hoping to get on a plane and then having someone walk in 5 minutes before the show time (grrrrr) we called in our Alaska Airline miles and flew home and back to reality…. a harsh awakening that was!

It was 80 degrees and sunny one moment and just a few hours later….
12 degrees … Really....? Really! 12 degrees, dark and dreary! So I, of course have spent the last week feeling sorry for myself… thinking of great names for this post… like

Global Warming?.... yeah right!
If Bears Can Hibernate Why Can’t I?
12 degrees? Give me a Break!
If its gonna be this cold, we might as well have snow!



In the end, I accepted the fact that the weather isn’t going to change and hibernation isn’t really an option! I repented of my bad attitude and decided to be content and quit trying to be God! I have so much to be thankful for, how can I let a few cold days get in my way?! (Especially when there are so many more ahead!) So, to put my thoughts in motion, I pulled out the hat and gloves and off we went. We walked on the crunchy grass, slid on the ice at the ‘snow dump,’ admired the snowy mountains and beautiful blue sky… and came home to a lovely warm cup of tea…. Almost as nice as 2 weeks with my California Kids.... almost....

As we quickly approach the 1 year in Alaska mark, I have to say this has certainly been one of the most challenging and wonderful assignments in our 20+ years of military service and also one of the most difficult seasons in my life. But, for all the mixed emotions and uncertainty, I know this one thing… no matter where I’m at or what season I’m in…..

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.


I will say of the LORD, “he is my refuge and my fortress,
My God, in whom I trust.”

He will cover you with his feathers,
And under his wings you will find refuge;
His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
Psalm 91: 1-2,4

4 comments:

Shauna said...

I am glad that you got to spend some time in the sun. We have sun in Texas too if you were wondering where to come next?

And you are right - no matter what season - we have refuge in Him.

jeramy sossaman said...

it was great to see you both!

Natalie said...

It was awesome to visit and have scones & clotted cream together... I have to agree with your attitude of going from sunny to 12 degrees. The great thing is you looked at the blessings you do have... God is interested in our character!
Even though it has been a tough season for you, God has been with you through the whole thing! Here is another verse to add!

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Chelle said...

It was so great to see you! I'm looking forward to December. And by the way.... I like the title "If Bears Can Hibernate, Why Can't I?"

Too funny!