Saturday, October 31, 2009

Two Years in the Making....

So... we don't really celebrate Halloween... I just have to say that up front. Many, many years ago I remember inviting an English friend to our church Halloween party. She was 'dumbfounded' because to her the two did not mix at all.... a few years later we started looking at life in a different light and became convicted that indeed, the two.... evil and good (or shall I say God) did not mix. Now that's not to say I think there is anything wrong with dressing up like a princess and getting candy, or cutting funny faces in pumpkins, but for the most part, we have done away with celebrating Halloween for the last 8-10 years... mind you, that is most of Rian's life...


Having said all that, you'd think it would have surprised me when in September, two years ago, Rian said "Mom, can I have some cardboard, I'm going to make a Master Chief costume for Halloween."


Sigh.... From the other two, it would have surprised me, but this is Rian... ... Rather than go into the whole subject again, I simply reminded him that we were moving and the packers were coming on Halloween Day. To the best of my memory the conversation progressed something like this.... "But Mom, what about the Harvest Party at church"... sigh... "Rian really, I just don't think it's going to happen... and who is Master Chief anyway???"

"oh he's the main character from Halo..." Needless to say if you know, you know that explanation didn't really help me much but after a little more explaining and a few more weeks of him 'badgering' me, I got the picture and with all my motherly wisdom and encouragment I said ... and I quote.... "Rian you can't make that out of cardboard!!!!"


If I only would have known then what that simple little comment would have meant to my life I might have chosen my words more carefully! .. at any rate, I convinced him that if he wanted to make something out of the moving boxes before the Harvest Party it would need to be something square-ish.... like Sponge Bob.... so two years ago tonight, this was Rian.....


And I was relieved as Halloween was over and I didn't have to hear about "Master Chief" ever again. We packed out, stayed on a few more weeks in California and then headed for Texas for the Holidays. You can only imagine my frustration when I hear the words.... "Grandpa, do you have any cardboard I can have?????" AARRGGG...... He spent the next few weeks in Texas cutting, bending, taping and painting cardboard and came up with a Master Chief costume ... so there I was eating my words for Christmas Dinner.... but now, after about 3 1/2 months of hearing about this Master Chief it was finally done.... we got on a plane (costume in tow) and headed for Alaska.


We settled in, survived the winter, but when summer time came, so did the creative bug... and that costume, well, it just wasn't good enough...


So Rian spent the better part of the last year and a half teaching me a VERY important lesson. I really think I already knew this, but trust me, I will never, ever, EVER say "you can't make that....." to him again. He has amazed me with his persistence, creativity, ingenuity as he taught himself how to use (and how not to use) Fiberglass cloth, fiberglass resin, bondo, a dremil, paper, glue, paint, and God only knows what else! ... And this was Rian tonight at the church Fall Festival .... might as well have been Master Chief himself......

So.... if you know me, you'll know I was relieved to think it was finally over.... if you know Rian, it won't surprise you to hear that his next project is already in the works.... the helmet from Halo ODST (can someone explain that one to me??). The first thing he said to me this morning was "Mom, can you take me to Walmart, I need some Resin...."


That Boy.... I know God has a very, very, VERY, special plan for his life.... I just hope and pray that I can survive being his mother so I can see it!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jaycee said...

That is totally amazing!! He is so talented. I remember his spongebob costume and the one he made in the backyard. What talent! Give him a bug hug for me!