Thursday, June 4, 2009

Before and After...

Several of you have asked to see some pictures of the new house, and since I am SO 'done' with cleaning, painting and unpacking, I decided today was a good day to give you a tour of what we've accomplished so far. We have one picture hung, no curtains (except in the dining room) light fixtures still need to be removed or replaced, base boards to paint or replace so obviously we still have a lot of work to do, but we've made some remarkable progress so thought I'd share...
First, the outside..... before.....
















after.......
Guess we really have to give God the credit for this one... other than picking up some sticks and mowing, we haven't done much to this view. (And yes, that is the back end of the old truck we bought to go with the old house...sadly, the upgrade on the truck turned out to be more that we hoped for, so it is now for sale!)

The Living Room.... before.....

after......
I don't know if these pictures really give this transformation justice due to the lighting, however, I will NOT complain about the lighting! This place is so much lighter than our base quarters were. It will be a huge blessing, especially when the dark winter returns! The other notable thing about the lighting is that the entry way window was so filthy that the room transformed as Rick washed it... yuck!























All the light fixtures (except the one hanging over the entry way) in these area's were removed. The track lighting was amazingly ugly, and the plain light here was in a really odd location. Not sure what we'll do for light in the living room when winter hits again, but ANYTHING will be better than these lights were!

The Dining Room.... before....
This disc light is the one from the other picture, which is now gone, At some point we will replace the ceiling fan, but other than some pictures, this room is probably the most finished. As you can see, it looks like "me" and I love it.

after.....

I've tried really hard to come up with an updated look without losing the "me" part of the house... i.e. my love of blue and the collection of beautiful polish pottery that goes with it. And of course, my eclectic collection of old junk, most of which, has a some sort of a story to go with it ... uh oh... I think I just described my dad there!


Just thought I should add one 'during" picture from last weekend's project. The ladder 'we' used for painting the entryway was just a little bit shorter than it needed to be, so needless to say, there were many of these... "Rick are you crazy? You're going to kill yourself!" " Yes I think that edge is perfect, can you get down now?!" moments.



The below picture is this weekends project... The downstairs bathroom... It is the boys bathroom now, but as of next week it will be the 'guest bathroom' so we want to get it 'spruced up' (literally) before company starts arriving next week.

Well, hope you liked my little mini-tour. I'll post some pictures of the kitchen (there were to many dirty dishes to add it to this post!) and the bedrooms next week along with my new and improved guest bathroom! One last note... I know I haven't updated the slide show since like Christmas... I will do so soon, so keep watching for it. We have some beautiful pictures from spring in Alaska and that bear hunt... soon, I promise! As for now... back to work for me!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hi Cheryl! So far you guys are doing a GREAT job!!! I think the lighting is beautiful! It looks so bright & airy. Home improvement is a lot of work but it is SO rewarding to see the results!

jeramy sossaman said...

looks beautiful! great job.